LOUISIANA SPEAKS: SPEAK UP AND ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO JOIN YOU!
Between January 22 - February 10, 2007 you will have the unprecedented opportunity to decide the future of our region. During this time, you will have a variety of ways to learn about the different scenarios and choose a future direction for our state, including on TV, in your newspaper, online and at your local library.
Find out about LOUISIANA SPEAKS and SPEAK UP:
During the last week of January, Louisiana citizens will be able to view a special Louisiana Speaks program. It will air on Louisiana Public Broadcast (LPB) stations, as well as on other stations across the state, on January 24, 26 and 28. Click here for TV schedule. The one-hour TV program will explain and demonstrate the choices and their potential costs and outcomes. At the end of the program, viewers will be able to a toll-free phone number where their choices can be instantly registered.
IN YOUR NEWSPAPER:
On Wednesday, January 24, the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Baton Rouge Advocate, Houma Courier, Thibodaux Daily Comet, Lafayette Daily Advertiser, Opelousas Daily World and Lake Charles American Press will include a special, educational Louisiana Speaks insert about the regional options for residents to weigh in with their preferences. The inserts will provide citizens with hard data about different regional decisions and include proposed solutions to South Louisiana's regional challenges.
You can weigh in on which option you find most compelling by:
(1) completing and mailing in the response sheet, which will be included in the newspaper insert
(2) dropping the completed response sheet at your local library
(3) weighing in with your preferences through the online poll at www.LouisianaSpeaks.org
(4) calling the soon to be announced toll free number to submit your choice
AT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY:
If you do not have access to a computer or a newspaper, Louisiana public libraries across South Louisiana will serve as polling sites from January 22 through February 10, 2007. You can review the scenarios and fill out the response form at a library's computer terminal and or pick up a copy of the printed insert and drop it in specially marked Louisiana Speaks boxes.
VISIT ANY BRANCH OF THE FOLLOWING LIBRARY SYSTEMS TO SPEAK UP!
* Acadia Parish Library
* Allen Parish Library
* Assumption Parish Library
* Beauregard Parish Library
* Calcasieu Public Library
* Cameron Parish Library
* East Baton Rouge Parish Library
* Iberia Parish Library
* Jefferson Davis Parish Library
* Jefferson Parish Library
* Lafayette Public Library
* Lafourche Parish Library
* New Orleans Public Library
* Plaquemines Parish Library
* St. Charles Parish Library
* St. James Parish Library
* St. John the Baptist Parish Library
* St. Martin Parish Library
* St. Mary Parish Library
* St. Tammany Parish Library
* Tangipahoa Parish Library
* Terrebonne Parish Library
* Vermilion Parish Library
* Vernon Parish Library
* Washington Parish Library
* West Baton Rouge Parish Library
In addition to the libraries listed, CC's Coffee Houses across South Louisiana will offer wireless internet access to the Louisiana Speaks website to submit your choice.
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED NOW:
Here is what you can do to help spread the news and build awareness about the important work that is being done to make South Louisiana safer, smarter and stronger:
1. Tell your friends about what you have read here or forward this e-newsletter to people who you think would like to learn more about Louisiana Speaks
2. Send us your feedback on the Louisiana Speaks long-range regional vision by clicking here: [email protected]
3. Spread the word by hosting a meeting or by giving a presentation on the Louisiana Speaks Regional vision in your community. Call us at (225) 267-6300.
Through our collective intelligence, and with citizen input, we can create a vision for South Louisiana that improves the lives of our families, neighbors and fellow citizens.
Louisiana Speaks is the long-term planning initiative of the Louisiana Recovery Authority. With support from the LRA Support Foundation, Louisiana Speaks has engaged a team of top local and national planning experts to gather public input and support the development of a regional vision for South Louisiana that will guide long-term recovery and future growth. This work combines the efforts of many experts, stakeholders and citizens into a comprehensive approach that will be used to guide investments and secure additional resources for Louisiana.